- Introduction of Topic and Panel Members
- Magistrate shared the history of youth involvement in court and how this plays out in practice
- Youth Panel
- Questions from the audience
Youth Panel Questions
- Please tell us a little bit about your experience in foster care…
- Were you able to attend one/more court hearings? If so was it helpful? Were you prepared ahead of time?
- If not, what was it like not knowing what goes on in court? What information about your case did you want the judge/magistrate to know?
- How is hearing from youth in person different from hearing from their CASA or caseworker?
- What would you tell a judge or magistrate that was on the fence about including youth in hearings?
a.) Are all hearings equal, or are some hearings more important than others? (i.e. placement decision/change in case/general review with no change)
b.) Should they make exceptions based upon:
- The child’s age?
- What a young person wants?
- If they think the child/teen isn’t emotionally ready?
- If the logistics are inconvenient? (long drive for adult/long wait for child)
- Whether or not the court is kid-friendly? (or teen-friendly)