Wednesday, July 14, 2010
INVESTING IN COUNTY and STATE YABS
• YAB funding from ODJFS
• Upcoming Ohio/County Youth Advisory Board Membership Drive
• Lunchtime with Lisa: Resource for YAB Adult Supporters
• NEW website: http://fostercareyouthleadership.wikispaces.com to support the preparation and retention of future Ohio YAB officers
CELEBRATING OHIO YOUTH ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• 2010 Ohio Foster Club All-Star: Jeremie Austin-Brown, Stark County
• 2010 Foster Club Outstanding Young Leaders: Rico Rushin and Alex McFarland
• 2010 Ohio Reach Summit: Laquita Howell, Hamilton County
• Dayton Daily News: Uncle takes on role of dad to keep family together
Now, more than ever, with tight budgets and limited resources, Ohio's emancipating foster care youth NEED support, empowerment and preparation!
Thursday, July 8, 2010
YOUTH PANEL• July 28, Foster care panel for Capital Law School ICWI in Columbus
• Aug. 4, Adoptee panel for Capital Law School ICWI in Columbus
FALL CONFERENCES• Aug. 11, Southwest Independent Living Summit in Cincinnati
• Sept. 24, Judicial College video teleconference in Columbus
• Oct. 2, Youth Panel at Ohio CASA conference in Columbus
• Oct. 29, Northeast Independent Living Summit in Canton
FUTURE STATE ADVOCACY OPPORTUNITIES• Ready to Launch: Ohio Gubernatorial Campaigns
• State budget: Promote use of WIA and ODE funds for transitional foster youth
• OACCA compilation of potential ODJFS budget areas that might be at-risk
• OCOG funds (Demos/Policy Matters Ohio)
OHIO BUDGET PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT COMMISSION• This budget committee is tasked with understanding the magnitude of the budget deficit and to discuss general strategies.
• Some of the committee members will be on the House and Senate budget committee in 2011.
• It’s important that committee members are informed about the importance of funding for foster youth.
• Foster care youth and alumni will need to arrange meetings with individual committee members.